The church is the main element of forming during XVI-XVIII centuries ensemble of Jesuit College. Jesuit church was built in 1700-1710 years in baroque style. The interior of the temple are richly decorated with paintings, wooden figures of the 12 apostles.
In 1773, Pope Clement XIV dissolves the Jesuit Order and the church turns into a parish. In the late 18th century, following the accession of the Russian Empire, Minsk church is reconstructed as the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary. But in 1863, after the mass closure of churches in the city, Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the last Catholic church in the city, a stronghold of Catholicism in Belarus for the next 50 years.
Temple continued to work with the Soviet regime. For a while, church operated during World War II. However, in 1947 the church was closed again.
During the Second World War, the Jesuit church was badly damaged after his appearance was changed beyond recognition: the church was rebuilt and adapted for the learning platform sports society “Spartacus.” Two towers of the temple were dismantled, the decoration shrines – eliminated. The frescoes on the walls were covered with paint, and within the church have three gyms: boxing, weightlifting and gymnastics, as well as an assembly hall for 500 people.
In 1993 the church was returned to believers. Over the next decade, the restoration was carried out as part of the external appearance and internal decoration of the building. Unique paintings were restored in the building and organ was renovated.
In early 1994, a cross on the front of the church was re-established. Restoration work started. Today Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary regained its former appearance. Much restored to old photographs and eyewitness accounts. Rededication of the church took place in October 1997.
One should pay special attention to the decoration of the church – to the new altar. The image of the Virgin Mary, located in the sanctuary – it is a gift of the Holy Father John Paul II. Figures of the Apostles also were given by one of Italian churches. Also in the design of the Cathedral of interest are pictures showing the steps of the Cross of Christ.
Particularly the cathedral revived, when the organ appeared there. It is a gift from the bishops of Austria and in particular the Diocese Graz. Today you can hear the wonderful organ concerts featuring local and international artists in the cathedral.