National library of belarus

National Library of the Republic of Belarus is one of the largest in the world. the new building was designed in the late 80s, but to realize it was possible only after more than 15 years. Construction began November 1, 2002. In early 2006, it began moving book collections (of six different buildings) in the new library building, which lasted several months.

Читать далее →

Minsk-Arena

“Minsk-Arena” – is one of the most modern multifunctional complexes in Europe, designed for international sports and cultural and recreational activities. MKSK “Minsk-Arena” includes four main buildings: “Arena” (15,000 seats), “Velodrome” (2000 seats), “Skating rink” (3000 seats), as well as multi-level car park (1080 parking spaces .) “Minsk-Arena” is one of the leading European hockey arenas by capacity audiences. With modern equipment, complete the appropriate professional standards, and unique scenic complex, unparalleled in Belarus, MKSK “Minsk-Arena” is carrying out activities of international importance in the sports and cultural life.

Читать далее →

Belarusian State Circus

The first performance took place in a professional circus booth, expanded in the Trinity suburb of Minsk in the summer of 1853. It was an Austrian circus posters survived even the text of the time. Only in November 1884 in Minsk, at the Cathedral Square (now Square of Liberty) was the first in Belarus, a stationary wooden circus – “Circus of Nikitin Brothers” with 800 seats. In the future, the circus often changed its location: on Trinity Hill, on Komarovski field, and then – in the Governor’s Garden, and St Michael’s Square.

Читать далее →

Plostshad Pobedy Victory Square

This square is often called the Round by Minsk dwellers. Officially, this name existed prior to 1954, before the erection of a monument of victory. The architectural ensemble of the square began to take shape in the late 30s XX cent. In 1939 the construction of two arc-shaped houses began, which ended in 1947. Turned to the city center, they now close the main, straight stretch of Independence Avenue. Victory Monument in honor of Soviet Army soldiers, partisans and underground fighters started to build in 1950. 38-meter high monument stands out for its artistic plastic, on which all of the major sculptors were working in Belarus. On the four sides of the obelisk there are thematic bronze high reliefs: May 9, 1945, Glory to the fallen heroes, the Soviet army during World War II, partisans in Belarus.

Читать далее →

Cathedral of the blessed Virgin Mary

Catholic church was the main element formed over the XVI-XVIII centuries by Jesuit Collegium Ensemble – a strong point of the Catholic Order of Jesuits. Jesuit Church was built in 1700-1710 years in baroque style. The interior of the church were decorated with rich frescoes, wooden figures of 12 apostles.

Читать далее →

Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul

Was build in the 1611-1613 years by Orthodox Brotherhood of St. John on the account of the richest Orthodox citizens and nobles of the Minsk Province. Brotherhood founded the monastery print shop, hospital and school, where, according to the educational traditions of the Renaissance, taught the “Seven Arts freestyle” – Latin grammar, rhetoric, dialectic, arithmetic, geometry, astronomy and music. The church has long been the only Orthodox church in Minsk. During the wars and religious conflicts the church had to perform defensive role, turning into an impregnable fortress. This is due to the thickness of walls, location of windows high above the earth and the existence of loopholes.

Читать далее →

Church of Saints Simon and Helen.Ploschad Nezavisimosti (Independence Square)

Independence Square – the central and largest area of ??Minsk. The area began to be built in the early 30s of the XX century by the architect I.G. Langbard, as the main area of ??the city, originally has the name of Lenin. The modern image began to take shape in the postwar period. The post-war buildings is presented on the right side of the square: the main building of the Belarusian State University, behind it – a tall building with a clock and weather vane – Management of Metro, then – corner building – Minsk City Executive Committee. The left side shows the pre-war building preserved buildings – Government House, as well as pre-revolutionary – red church and the houses next to it.

Читать далее →

Holy Spirit Cathedral

The Building of cathedral was part of the complex of Bernardine Catholic convent, founded in 1633. Since 1642 construction of the stone of the monastery and church in the Baroque style of architecture began. Builders have erected it just at the place where, until the beginning of XVII century, monastery of Saints Cosmas and Damian was. During the XVIII-XIX centuries the church and the adjacent convent building was reconstructed several times before it took the current architectural appearance.

Читать далее →

Liberty Square and Minsk Town hall

The Main place in the Upper Town, which housed the government and focused trade, was Ploshtshad Svobody. In the XVI century the area was called the Upper Market, and the XIX century – the Cathedral square. During the War of 1812, when the city was in the hands of the French, the area was renamed ??Napoleon square. And in 1917 it became known as Ploshtshad Svobody (Freedom Square). In the Middle Ages in the Town Hall on Square the main body of city government – city council set on. It housed the main market and the best shops in town. Around the area were located the main temples of the Orthodox, Catholic and Uniate churches.

Читать далее →

Trinity Suburb

Trinity Suburb is a beautiful and unique corner of the old Minsk, which is now one of the most favorite places of Minsk dwellers and guests. The occupation of the territory according to the archaeological data has began in the X century. At the beginning of the XVI century on a hill overlooking Svisloch Trinity church and monastery arose. The upland and the city suburb, which began to form, got the name from them. Most homes in the Trinity suburb were made of wood, and for a long time, it was considered a suburb of Minsk, and entered the line of the town only in the XIX century.

Читать далее →