Monastery Bazilianok

In 1839 the monastery was abolished in 1843 became Orthodox. In 1977-92 years in temple housed a museum of atheism and religion. Since 1992 operates here Orthodox Holy Nativity of Our Lady convent. Orthodox wooden church was built in the 16th century on the high-end market in Minsk, now called Liberty Square. In 1617 next to the church was built Svyatoduhovsky male monastery. So in Minsk began to create great Uniate Basilian monastery that served as decoration of the city until the 19th century. Now there is a small probability that the city will return the lost in more or less its original form. Uniate monastery was closed in 1795, and the Holy Spirit church rebuilt in the Peter and Paul Orthodox Cathedral. In the men’s body located gymnasium. In 1835 it burned all, so that the building complex of the former completely lose its original appearance.

Read more →

Engels street

Building of streets underway since the beginning of the XVII century, when at the corner of (undeveloped) of the current street. The International (Epiphany and St. Peter and Paul), the Dominican monastery was built. The thickness of the walls of the monastery reached 3 meters. This is the first stone religious building in Minsk. At the beginning of the XIX century the monastery was closed. In 1926, taken under protection of the state, but destroyed during the war.

Read more →

Street Torgovaya

Lovers of walks in the picturesque corners of the old Minsk surely wander the quiet and green street of Commerce.
It is here, in one of the survivors of the century and now non-residential building reinforced with a sign saying “Here is the Upper Town, the historic center of Minsk XVI – XIX centuries – complex monument of architecture, urban planning, history, revolutionary and military glory. It is under state protection. “

Read more →

Underground passages (Liberty Square)

The main place in the Upper Town, which housed the administration and concentrated trade, was the modern Liberty Square. In the XVI century it was called the Upper Market, in the XIX century – the Cathedral Square, during the War of 1812, when the city was in the hands of the French – Napoleon area. And since 1917 it became known as Freedom Square.

Read more →