Plostshad Pobedy (Victory Square). This square is often called the Round by Minsk dwellers. Officially, this name existed prior to 1954, before the erection of a monument of victory. The architectural ensemble of the square began to take shape in the late 30s XX cent. In 1939 the construction of two arc-shaped houses began, which ended in 1947. Turned to the city center, they now close the main, straight stretch of Independence Avenue. Victory Monument in honor of Soviet Army soldiers, partisans and underground fighters started to build in 1950. 38-meter high monument stands out for its artistic plastic, on which all of the major sculptors were working in Belarus. On the four sides of the obelisk there are thematic bronze high reliefs: May 9, 1945, Glory to the fallen heroes, the Soviet army during World War II, partisans in Belarus. At the foot of the monument there are bronze wreaths, which symbolize the four fronts, thet participated in the liberation of Belarus. Victory Monument was inaugurated on May 9, 1954. On the day of the 17th anniversary of liberation of Minsk, July 3, 1961, at the foot of the monument was lit an eternal flame.
Read more →